Menü
  • Gurki

mehr als 1000 Beiträge seit 01.02.2000

Byte 1994: "We may never see another breakthrough computer like the Amiga."

Tom Halfhill hat es in seinem Commodore Nachruf in der Byte 8/94 ziemlich gut auf den Punkt gebracht:

"[...] Commodore's high point was the Amiga 1000 (1985). The Amiga was so far ahead of its time that almost nobody - including Commodore's marketing department - could fully articulate what it was all about. Today, it is obvious the Amiga was the first multimedia computer, but in those days it was described as a game machine because few people grasped the importance of advanced graphics, sound, and video. Nine years later, vendors are still struggling to make systems that work like 1985 Amigas.

At a time when PC users thought 16-color EGA was hot stuff, the Amiga could display 4096 colors and had custom chips to accelerate video. It had built-in video outputs for tv's and VCRs, still a pricey option on most of today's systems. It had four-voice, sampled stereo sound and was the first computer with built-in speech synthesis and text-to-speech conversion. And it's still the only system that can display multiple screens at different resolutions on a single monitor.

Even more amazing was the Amiga's operating system, which was designed by Carl Sassenrath. From the outset, it had preemptive multitasking, messaging, scripting, a GUI, and multitasking command-line concoles. Today's Windows and Mac users are still waiting for some of those features. On top of that, it ran on a $1200 machine with only 256 KB of RAM.

We may never see another breakthrough computer like the Amiga. I value my software investment as much as anyone, but I realize comes at a price. Technology that breaks clean with the past is increasingly rare [...]"

Bewerten
- +
Anzeige